Monday, January 2, 2012

Duluth!

While I haven't done much in the first 2 days of this new year, I spent the last few days of 2011 pretty wisely. I had the chance to go to Duluth, MN with a good friend of mine and I've got some tips for you stemming from this little expedition:

1. Eat at Pizza Luce and Burrito Union. Both are great establishments with some amazing deals ($5 for a pint of craft beer and two tacos?!) and even better food. Better yet, they both have a substantial selection of craft beers from local breweries such as Fitger's and Summit. I had a chance to try Fitger's Apricot Wheat and their Wildfire Lager. The Wildfire is a really spicy, peppery beer that packs one hell of a wallop.

2. No matter what time of year it is, make the short drive out to Gooseberry Falls State Park. Even though the falls were iced over, it was beautiful. Also, it's really fun/weird to walk on the river and get about 3 feet from the falls.

3. Avoid gas stations that have evidence of shotgun fire in the bathroom stalls. I saw this in a small town between Gooseberry and Duluth. It felt like I was in the middle of a gang war between two factions of pissed-off hunters.

4. Although Canal Park gives you a great view of the harbor, there's nothing else of interest there. A whole lot of chain restaurants and tacky gift shops, but no local flavor.

Anyway, I took some photos while I was there, mostly downtown. I used an old rangefinder I'd just gotten to take some photos at the falls but the film didn't turn out so you'll have to imagine those.







No comments:

Post a Comment