Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Reason to Write

For about 2 months now, I've been trying to find a really great reason to post something. Yes, I went to Lollapalooza, and yes, it was great, but nothing terribly unexpected happened. However, if you ever make it to Madison, Wisconsin, eat at the Great Dane. It'll change your life.

Then today I picked up a new album. Leafing through a magazine the other night, I noticed that Feist had recently released a new LP entitled "Metals." While Feist isn't anyone I'm usually dying to talk about, "Metals" may well have cemented itself in my Top 5 list of releases this year. With a 4 year break between her last album, "The Reminder," and "Metals," one would expect something pretty different. And that's exactly what you get. Feist has toed the fine line between remaining poppy and accessible while growing and experimenting as a musician.

On tracks like "How Come You Never Go There" and "Caught a Wind," there's still the simple yet elegant song structure we know and love. However, there are also songs like "A Commotion" that combines strings, synths, and abrasive, nearly indiscernible chants.

Overall, I think little ole' Leslie Feist has produced a solid, intimate feeling record that was worth the four year wait.

Also, I've posted a photo that I took the other night. It has nothing to do with this album. I just like it.





No comments:

Post a Comment